Friday, July 24, 2009

........sooooooo.........

I don't know what to say so I haven't said anything, but I will try. It all started 36 1/2 years ago when my wonderful husband was born with a damaged aortic valve. It was replaced not long after I met him when he was 17. So the other day Scott had an angiogram to find out why he has not been my normal self lately. It turns out his arteries are fine, but his aortic valve is now severely constricted. It was really hard to watch my man in pain & I couldn't do anything to help him. I have always known in the back of my head this day was gonna come, but that was a dose of reality. The typical life of a human graft is 10-15 years, and his has lasted 19. So I always knew he was gonna need another operation. I was always paranoid he would need it while I was trying to birth one of the kids. It is not a hereditary condition, however I got both the kids checked at birth & Daniel had an ECG a couple of months ago, so they are fine. I didn't see him after his first operation, so don't really know what to expect. I am worried about funny things like the fact that kids aren't even allowed in the cardio part of the hospital. So what do I do with the kids? They will want to see their father, but do we want them to see him? How sick is he gonna be afterwards? How much time do I need to take off work? When is he gonna be able to drive again? What about his fishing? How am I gonna keep him from going mentally insane inside these four walls for a couple of months, (there is only so much TV you can watch). So it has been 10 days since his aniogram & we haven't even heard the official results yet, just what the nurses told him. I am going insane with all this waiting!!!! They said it was bad so he should be getting another replacement operation, probably sometime in the next 3 months. So that's good I guess, he will be on the road to recovery by Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're thinking of you guys through this... Scott is young so will probably recover reasonably quickly... When my dad had his chest opened he wasn't allowed to drive for 3 months. He couldn't move very well for a few weeks and seeing him for the first time in the hospital was a shock, so it might be a blessing in disguise that the kids aren't allowed in. Hard as that is to tell them. Let us know if there's anything we can do... even though we live a bit far away. Brenda